Microneedling (also known as skin needling or collagen induction therapy) is a treatment that uses fine needles to cause micro-tears in the skin. These small contact points encourage the body to create a wound healing response, promote skin growth factors and renew the skin. As your skin repairs, the production of collagen and elastin is triggered to give an almost immediate plumping effect. Post needling, this is an optimum time to charge the skin with potent ingredients to help combat skin concerns. Skin Therapist Dervla will then apply a high percentage hyaluronic acid sheet mask to calm the skin and to absorb as much hydration as possible.
Find out more about microneedling
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- Improve fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce acne scarring and facial scarring
- Shrink enlarged pores
- Tighten sagging skin
- Improve stretch marks
- Reduce pigmentation and sun spots
How many treatments do I require?
For best results, a course of 6-10 treatments is advised or a mixture of skin treatments to achieve optimum skin health. Skin Therapist Dervla will tailor a unique treatment plan for your needs.
What to expect post-treatment?
- Redness, skin tightening and flaking for up to 5-7 days post-treatment. Slight bruising and inflammation may occur. This is a normal skin response as the body is repairing the micro-tears and sending fresh growth factors to the injured area. (Do not try to accelerate this process with anti-inflammatory medication or mechanical exfoliation).
- If the skin is itchy or feels slightly irritated, you can take antihistamines for 48 hours post-treatment if needed.
- Do not wash face or apply skin products for the first 12 hours post-treatments.
- An SPF 30 protection cream should be applied daily as the skin can be more light-sensitive post-treatment.
- No hot showers or sweat induced exercise for the first 24 hours
- No make-up for first 24 hours.
- No AHA’S BHA’S/Retinol/Exfoliant use for first-week post-treatment.
- No Sunbed usage as skin is more light-sensitive.
- Please do not pick skin if it begins to flake or purge. You need this to happen naturally as you can increase the chance of hyperpigmentation/scarring if you do so.
Contraindications of microneedling
Microneedling is not a suitable treatment if you are taking any of the below medications or suffer from the following conditions:
Roaccutane 6-12 months, antibiotics, blood thinners, cease anti-inflammatory use 1 week before and after. Topical Antibiotics/Benzoyl Dioxide 1 week prior and post treatment. Haemophilia, blood clotting disorders, long term prednisolone use, autoimmune disorders, active cancer, undergoing radio/chemotherapy, Nickel/Stainless steel allergies, Scleroderma, Solar Keratosis, Keloid Scarring, Acne Vulagaris stage 3-5, papulopustular rosacea, HIV/AIDS.
Conditions that need doctor/consultant consent letter;
Transplant Anti-Rejection Drug, Heart Disease, Hypertension (treated with medication), Cancer- after 12 months, Insulin-Dependent Diabetes.
Conditions that need to be healed/cleared before treatment;
Active herpes simplex (cold sores) – even if inactive take anti-viral medications 2 weeks pre and post needling, Bacterial, Fungal or Viral Skin Infection of any type. Sunburn or active tan. Open lesion/cut on the area being treated.
In addition to this, wait times before you can be treated after the following;
- Injectable treatments- 2 weeks
- Roaccutane- 6/12 months
- Tattooing/Cosmetic Tattooing – 3 months
- IPL/laser hair removal- 2 weeks
- Strong chemical peels- 2 weeks
- Waxing/Depilatory Creams – 1 week
Cost of the treatment
€150 per microneedling session. (60 mins)
Course of 6, pay for 5. €750 (This course is non-transferable between clients and must be completed within 12 months).
€180 per micro needling session with a booster.