Lip filler treatment is one of Dr. Nadine’s favorite procedures to perform. She aims to achieve a natural, subtle rejuvenation of the lip. When you initially meet Dr. Nadine she will focus on educating you in the importance of slowly building and shaping the lip. For example, a client with a difficult ‘M shape’ lip or very thin lip may require at least three treatments within 12-18 months before achieving their desired shape. This long time span is critical to achieving a natural shape with no unsightly spillage or migration of filler.
Filler lasts 9-12 months once the desired shape and size is achieved. Generally, patients return every 12-18 months for the addition of lip filler once they have reached a maintenance stage.
As Dr. Nadine is a dentist she initially numbs the client with dental anesthesia injections as though you are having a dental procedure. This ensures comfort throughout the lip augmentation procedure as multiple injections are necessary to sculpt the lip. On request, you may receive topical numbing cream only.
Dr. Nadine has received advanced masterclass training from Dr. Rikin Parekh, Avanti Aesthetics Academy, Harley St., London. Dr. Rikin is a world-renowned injector and a keynote speaker and trainer for Galderma. Dr. Nadine has also been privileged to receive masterclass training at KLR Aesthetics, Liverpool and Butterfly Aesthetics, Leeds. Both Nurse Katie and Claire are master lip injectors who pride themselves in creating naturally augmented lips.
IMPORTANT : If you have had previous lip filler a consultation and thorough examination by Dr Nadine is initially required. This is to ensure there are no palpable lumps, visible asymmetry or migration and overspill of your filler. In some cases, Dr Nadine will firstly advise elective dissolving of your lips with Hyaluronidase.
What is lip filler composed of?
Filler is hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar in the skin that’s responsible for hydration. It has a gel-like consistency and is injected into the ‘problem areas’ of the lips to add volume and create shape and definition to the lip border. Many clients opt for this treatment due to the increase in lip hydration which it helps create.
What brand of filler does Dr. Nadine use?
Dr. Nadine uses Restylane or Stylage filler to augment lips. Depending on the lip-type she may use Restylane Kysse, Restylane Refyne, Stylage S or Stylage M. Please feel comfortable to discuss which product she is using and why during your visit.
How will my lips look after treatment?
Immediately after treatment: Generally 30% of the increased size is swelling which will reside. There may be some visible bruising. Your lips may also feel tender and dry.
2-3 days post treatment: Your lips are now an ideal size as swelling has almost fully settled.
14 days post treatment: You will feel a little underwhelmed if this was your first treatment as now that the swelling has subsided you will likely have preferred them as they were day 2-3 post treatment.
3 Months Post Your initial treatment: It is safe to return for another lip filler appointment. I will likely advise three treatments within the first 12-18 months. This is more probable if you have a very thin lip or difficult lip shape to begin.
Once your ideal shape and size has been achieved to maintain a natural result and lip outline I advise ONLY ONE maintenance treatment every 12-18 months.
How is the filler placed in my lips?
Depending on your presenting lip shape and size Dr Nadine will choose to use either a needle or cannula technique.
A cannula technique is a safer filler delivery method if your lip is very thin to begin as the risk of migration is reduced. This technique may also be employed if there are visible superficial blood vessels. A cannula has a reduced risk of penetrating a blood vessel due to its blunted tip.
How long does filler last for?
Filler generally lasts for 9-12 months
Is Dr Nadine the only injector present in clinic?
Yes , Dr Nadine is the only trained in-clinic medical professional to perform filler treatment. She does work in conjunction with skilled skin therapists who only perform skin conditioning treatments.
Is the treatment painful?
Lip filler can be a very painful treatment which is why Dr Nadine as a trained Dentist delivers anaesthesia injections into the gums pre-treatment as if you were having a dental treatment. Alternatively upon request a topical numbing anaesthesia cream can be placed. Please attend 20 minutes before your appointment time should you choose to opt for numbing cream.
How long will my numbing injections last for?
Generally, you will be numb for 2-3 hours post injections. Therefore take caution to not bite your lip, tongue, or cheek lining. Also, avoid hot drinks to avoid burning yourself.
Contraindications for treatment
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Lumpy filler present from a previous treatment
- Coldsore or infection at the site of treatment
- Immune disorders
- Previous complications when treated with filler
- Certain medications
- Cannot be consuming antibiotics/steroids at the time of treatment. Ideally, wait 2 weeks to complete your course before attending for filler.
In order to recover quickly and minimise downtime post-treatment please adhere to the following advice.
- Avoid alcohol/ibuprofens/caffeine 48 hours pre-treatment.
- If you are prone to bruising commence taking arnica tablets 5 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid exercise 24 hours pre-treatment.
- Please notify Dr Nadine if you are feeling unwell or taking a course of steroids or antibiotics as she will most likely postpone your treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores please contact the clinic in advance as a prophylactic course of antiviral medication can be prescribed.
- If you have an active cold sore or infection at the site of injection treatment must be deferred.
- It is essential to not fly for at least 72 hours post-treatment. This is a safety precaution in case a vascular occlusion or vessel blockage arises. If such an incident occurs this is deemed an emergency and you must contact Dr Nadine immediately. It may be necessary to dissolve your filler if full circulation is being compromised by the presence of filler.
- Due to anaesthesia, refrain from consuming hot drinks for at least 3 hours post-treatment to minimise the risk of burning your mouth/lips.
- Refrain from touching your lips to minimise the risk of infection.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine or ibuprofens 48 hours post-treatment.
- Apply ice to reduce swelling.
- Arnica cream may be applied to reduce bruising.
- Avoid make-up on the injection site for a few days to reduce the risk of infection.
- Avoid kissing for 24 hours.
- It is normal for lips to look uneven or have palpable lumps or bumps during the healing process.
- Expect that your lips will feel dry, stretched, and rubbery during the healing process. They will then become more hydrated due to the hydrophilic (water attraction) properties of filler.
- Avoid facial treatments, facial waxing, or massage for 3 weeks.