WHAT CAUSES EXCESSIVE SWEATING?
Excessive sweating can be due to a variety of reasons and the most common reason is a genetic predisposition. Apart from that secondary causes such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, or neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease.
Hyperhidrosis can be classified into two main types:
- Primary hyperhidrosis: Most people have a genetic predisposition for hyperhidrosis including 30-50% of the affected population. For most of these patients, the cause is unknown.
- Secondary hyperhidrosis: The condition may also arise due to an underlying health condition. The most common diseases causing excessive sweating include hyperthyroidism, obesity, adrenal gland disorders, and Parkinson’s disease.
Anti-wrinkle muscle relaxants are used to treat Hyperhidrosis. The best treatment for secondary hyperhidrosis is to treat the underlying cause, which will normally reduce the excessive sweating. If you are a new sufferer of hyperhidrosis we recommend that you seek advice from your GP initially. This is so the causes of secondary hyperhidrosis can be ruled out.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
- Arrive at your appointment 15 minutes early to apply topical numbing cream.
- Attend your appointment with shaved armpits this applies to both men and women.
- Wear a vest or sleeveless top as the area will have to be completely exposed during your treatment.
What should I do after my hyperhidrosis treatment?
- Avoid tight fitting or brightly coloured clothing immediately after treatment as there may be marks from the treatment which can stain clothing.
- To reduce the risk of bruising avoid alcohol, ibuprofen, and caffeine for 24 hours pre and post your treatment.
- Avoid applying deodorant on the day of treatment or after for up to 12 hours.
How long do results last for?
According to the International Hyperhidrosis Society, underarm anti-wrinkle injections can reduce underarm sweating by 82–87%. The effects can typically last 4–12 months, or up to 14 months in some cases. People who receive underarm anti-wrinkle injections tend to see results 2–4 days after treatment.