The main cause of a gummy smile is a hyperactive muscle that elevates the top lip too much upon expression. This then excessively exposes the upper gum and teeth resulting in what is perceived as an unattractive aesthetic.
It is important to have an in-person consultation to assess your suitability for this treatment as occasionally placing muscle relaxants can result in exposing more gum. This can apply to individuals with a very thin lip to begin with.
What is involved in Gummy Smile treatment?
Anti-wrinkle muscle relaxants work by temporarily blocking the communication between nerves and muscles, resulting in muscle paralysis. When injected into the hyperactive upper lip muscles responsible for a gummy smile, the elevation of the lip is redacted during smiling. This leads to a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing smile with reduced gingival exposure.
Gummy Smile Cost
The benefits of gummy smile treatment.
This treatment helps restore lost confidence and patients will no longer feel self-conscious regards their smile. A more balanced smile can have a positive impact on personal and professional interactions. This treatment is suitable for all ages as long as you are over eighteen years of age.
What is the difference between lip filler and gummy smile treatment?
Lip filler involves injecting a hyaluronic acid gel into your lip to increase volume and adjust its shape at rest. Lip filler has a duration of 6-12 months.
In comparison, gummy smile treatment involves delivering an anti-wrinkle muscle relaxant which is in a liquid form. Generally, this is via two injection points on either side of the nose base. This relaxation effect will last generally 12 weeks only.
Lip Filler results show immediately versus a gummy smile treatment takes 14 days to fully activate.
In the case of a significant gummy smile and a thin lip combining both treatments can offer more gingival camouflage. This is the importance of having a thorough consultation pre-treatment and understanding your suitable options.
Do I have to have filler aswell as gummy smile injections?
Not necessarily but for some individuals, the aid of both treatments can yield a better aesthetic result. Also, remember your lip filler will last 6-12 months so it will have greater longevity than gummy smile injections which last for 12 weeks only.
How long will results last for?
Gummy smile results obtained using anti-wrinkle muscle relaxants last a duration of 12 weeks.
Will my results last longer the more occasions I have my treatment?
Anti-wrinkle injections will always only last 12-16 weeks.
What are the potential side effects?
- Small bumps at the injection site will be visible for about 10-15 minutes after treatment.
- Clients seldom bruise but when needles are involved it is always a viable risk.
- A tension headache may be experienced post-treatment for a few days while the muscles are beginning to relax.
- If the frontalis (forehead) muscle is over relaxed it may cause drooping of the eyelids.
- Risk of infection. Dr. Nadine strongly encourages wearing no make-up after treatment for the remainder of the day to minimise this risk.
- Allergic reaction
- Blurred vision
- Discomfort from the needle
- Eyelid swelling
- Redness, swelling, itching, numbness, irritation, rash
Contraindications for treatment.
- The injection site is infected.
- Known bleeding disorder.
- You are allergic to any ingredients present in Azzalure.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have a neuromuscular disorder such as myasthenia gravis.
- You play a wind instrument.
- It is necessary for you to be able to whistle.
Important Aftercare advice
- Wear no make-up post procedure for the remainder of the treatment day.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Gently cleanse in a sweeping motion away from eyes
- Avoid any form of eyebrow procedures for 2 weeks post-treatment.
- Avoid facials for 2 weeks post-treatment.
- No strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and ibuprofen for 24-48 hours post injections to reduce the risk of bruising.
- Avoid extreme pressures of heat like sauna, steam room, hot tub for 2 weeks.
- Dr. Nadine encourages a 2-week review post-treatment if you are a first time patient.