As we age our skin loses its elasticity and natural ability to fully recover post-facial expression. Ageing is indeed a celebration of life but sometimes we can want to feel a little fresher. Dr Nadine commonly hears complaints of make-up gathering in lines, feeling tired and drawn and simply just wanting to look fresher but natural.
Dr Nadine carefully places anti-wrinkle injections to reduce wrinkles and prevent further lines from appearing. Many clients attend in an effort to promote preventative ageing. This is a stage when a line is beginning to now remain when the face is at rest.
Azzalure® contains a substance called botulinum toxin A which causes muscles to relax. Wrinkles are formed by excessive contraction of the facial muscles. Injection of small quantities of botulinum toxin A blocks the nerve impulse to the muscle, causing it to relax and in turn smooth the overlying skin to reduce wrinkles.
Find out more about anti-wrinkle injections
What are anti-wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections consist of a natural, purified protein product. Dr. Nadine uses the brand Azzalure®. This product is a local muscle relaxant adapted from the botulinum neuromodulator type-A of Dysport® and is specifically designed for use in aesthetic indications.
The administered dosage correlates to the degree of stiffness achieved. Dr. Nadine aims to soften lines so that an individual appears fresh not frozen. Although associated as an anti-wrinkle treatment it can also be used to treat migraines, excess underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis) and relieve masseter pain due to excessive grinding. Dr. Nadine also performs a Nefertiti Neck Lift using anti-wrinkle injections to soften the constant depressive force of platysmal neckbands.
It can be placed in the following areas of the face;
- Glabella (frown lines)
- Frontalis (forehead)
- Orbicularis occuli (crow’s feet)
- Nasalis (bunny lines/bunching of the nose)
- Orbicularis oris (lip flip/smoker’s lines)
- Mentalis (chin dimpling/curl up)
- DAO (turn down of mouth corners/sad face)
- Gummy Smile
What are the possible side effects?
- Clients seldom bruise but when needles are involved it is always a viable risk.
- A tension headache may be experienced post-treatment for a few days while the muscles are beginning to relax.
- If the frontalis (forehead) muscle is over relaxed it may cause drooping of the eyelids.
- Risk of infection. Dr. Nadine strongly encourages wearing no make-up after treatment for the remainder of the day to minimise this risk.
- Allergic reaction
- Blurred vision
- Discomfort from the needle
- Eyelid swelling
- Redness, swelling, itching, numbness, irritation, rash
What age should I be for treatment?
Legally you must be over eighteen to receive anti-wrinkle injections. Dr. Nadine has experience in treating clients of this age to help underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis). Due to her background knowledge of being a qualified dentist she also regularly treats clients with masseter pain.
Her belief is that once lines of facial expression become evident when your face is at rest, you may then consider treatment. This is the idea of preventative ageing and early intervention to maintain a youthful fresh appearance.
Important information prior to treatment
Please avoid receiving anti-wrinkle treatment if any of the following points are applicable.
- The injection site is infected.
- Known bleeding disorder.
- You are allergic to any ingredients present in Azzalure.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have a neuromuscular disorder such as myasthenia gravis.
Aftercare advice post treatment
- Wear no make-up post procedure for the remainder of the treatment day.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Gently cleanse in a sweeping motion away from eyes
- Avoid any form of eyebrow procedures for 2 weeks post-treatment.
- Avoid facials for 2 weeks post-treatment.
- No strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol on the day of treatment.
- Avoid extreme pressures of heat like sauna, steam room, hot tub for 2 weeks.
- Dr. Nadine encourages a 2-week review post-treatment if you are a first time client.